pastorjosh

Anybody else shoot bow?

11 posts in this topic

I guess my other big hobby is shooting bow.  I havent really hunted much with it, but I have shot a lot.  I like to shoot 3D tournaments with it.  Anybody else shoot?  What is your set up?

I have a 2014 PSE Prophesy. Single cam bow, super light, 30" cam to cam length.  Bodoodle rest, custom single pin sight, tru-ball release, Carbon-x stabilizer, and limb savers.  I shoot Easton Carbon Express 400 arrows with 85 grain tips.  This set up is 29" draw and 50# and shoots 288 fps.  If I shoot 5575 carbon arrows I can reach 300 fps, but I get a lot of arrow flex.  If you know anything about bows, a single cam at 50# shooting near 290 fps is pretty sweet.  I have a great friend at church that is a Matthews rep that helps me tune my set up.  My $300 (bare) bow shoots just as fast as his $1400 bow.  Which gripes him a little.  I will post up a pic or two of it and the grouping I had after 6 shots of final tuning.

efafb653a9cb6071436a2571e2fc8b6a.jpga462c001040b3aadae2bd7bee439bd43.jpg

One of those arrows deflected off another. I almost Robin Hooded one. Never done it, but I would sacrifice a couple of $12 arrows to say that I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woodsjeeping and Ob1ofwis like this

I shot 3D tourney years ago...hunted with nothing but bow for nearly 10 years with over 200 kills. Used to shoot for Hoyt. Quit shooting for nearly 15 years....a few years ago I picked up a customers Mathews and ended up buying it from him on the spot.

Have hunted with it a few times in last couple of years but lack of time is my excuse......I still enjoy it very much.

pastorjosh likes this

In high school I bought a bow from this guy I worked with, not knowing a thing about them but I did know I wanted to bow hunt. I shot in the yard until I knew I could hit what I was aiming for. Then I went out for my first bow hunt and actually had a deer walk out into the field giving me a beautiful shot. I drew, took aim, and was so danged excited the release was terrible!

The deer took off and I didn't see one again the rest of that season. I ended up selling the bow before after I enlisted and it wasn't until about a year later that I learned you have to get the proper draw length, and you can have bows tuned to fit you properly. So now I don't feel so bad about missing that deer, that bow was not meant for me at all. I wouldn't mind getting into it again, I just don't know a thing about bow brands anymore, and I am not sure how expensive it would be. Definitely something I have thought about but never explored again. 

Expensive is relative. It's just like Jeeps, you can spend as much or as little as you want. I would do my research. That's what I did before I bought my Prophesy. I have always shot PSE though. Just a personal preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like the PSE bows I had but this Mathews is really sweet....this one I have listed for more than 1k when I bought it but I bought it all set up with a lot of tackle to go wit it for 50 cents on the dollar.

pastorjosh likes this

Commenting on an old thread...

I haven't shot near as much as you guys have... I use traditional/stick bows.. have made a couple, shot and won a traditional tournament in Austin a few years ago.. Took up archery to repair my shoulder strength after having it reconstructed twice.

Lack of time definitely makes an impact - I have beautiful hunting land, and haven't been out once since I moved out here. :| I miss the calming zen of it, though, so am hoping to set up a range and get back in shape this year for a fall hunt.

I got my first PSE bow during Christmas, have been practicing a lot.I have gotten pretty good, i am waiting for a 3d shoot near me and would love to go hunting with it this year.. I have never been hunting though so not sure where to start.